Dual Podiums for Huff on World Championship Return
Double podium for Huff at Monza
East Anglia’s FIA World Touring Car Championship (WTCC) contender Rob Huff started his 2012 season in style, taking two podium finishes as his campaign got underway at Italy’s famous Monza race track on 11 March 2012.
Huff, who came so close to clinching the 2011 world title on his way to second place in the highly competitive championship, took an impressive third in qualifying behind world champions Gabriele Tarquini and Yvan Muller, courtesy of a lap time of 1:58.106.
Contact with his Chevrolet works team-mate Alain Menu pushed Huff back to sixth-place during the opening lap of round one, but the Newmarket racer produced a series of excellent overtaking manoeuvres to climb back up to third place by the end of lap seven. Two laps later, Huff overtook 2009 World Champion Tarquini for second, a position he held until the chequered flag.
Race two was an equally hard-fought affair, with Huff and his team-mates Muller and Menu racing side by side for the duration of the ten-lap encounter. Starting eighth on the reverse grid, Huff worked his way through the field, climbing five places over the 20-minute race to take third place and make it two podium visits from two races.
The result, which means Huff has now claimed points in an incredible 33 consecutive races stretching back to September 2010, puts the 32-year-old second in the Drivers’ Championship standings just 18 points away from leader and current World Champion Yvan Muller.
"It was a fantastic weekend, we’ve really kicked off 2012 with a bang," said a delighted Huff. "I’m looking forward to another season of exciting action at the front of the WTCC field. Hopefully this is the beginning of something special."
Huff will return to action when rounds three and four take place at Valencia, Spain, on 1 April 2012.
Round One Result (top five)
1. Yvan Muller (Chevrolet Cruze 1.6T), 26:01.705
2. Rob Huff (Chevrolet Cruze 1.6T), +0.446
3. Gabriele Tarquini (SEAT León WTCC), +2.305
4. Rickard Rydell (Chevrolet Cruze 1.6T), +2.745
5. Tom Coronel (BMW 320 TC), +3.796
Round Two Result (top five)
1. Yvan Muller (Chevrolet Cruze 1.6T), 20:07.643
2. Alain Menu (Chevrolet Cruze 1.6T), +0.307
3. Rob Huff (Chevrolet Cruze 1.6T), +0.613
4. Tom Coronel (BMW 320 TC), +0.993
5. Stefano D’Aste (BMW 320 TC), +6.125
2012 FIA World Touring Car Championship – Drivers’ Championship (top five)
1. Yvan Muller (FRA), 54 points
2. Rob Huff (GBR), 36 points
3. Alain Menu (SUI), 26 points
4. Tom Coronel (NED), 22 points
5. Gabriele Tarquini (ITA), 20 points
2012 FIA World Touring Car Championship – Manufacturers’ Championship
1. Chevrolet, 93 points
2. BMW Customer Racing Teams, 49 points
3. SEAT Customer Technology, 45 points