Dual Podium Visit for Huff in Morocco
Newmarket's Rob Huff secured two stunning second-place finishes when the FIA World Touring Car Championship (WTCC) visited Marrakech, Morocco, on 15 April 2012 to put himself firmly in contention for the world title.
The 32-year-old started his weekend at the African street circuit in great form, taking second on the grid in qualifying courtesy of a fastest lap time of 1:43.929, just 0.028s away from his Chevrolet team-mate Alain Menu.
Despite battling with Menu for the duration of the 12-lap opening race on Sunday, Huff was unable to overtake the Swiss racer and instead took a second-place finish despite a strong challenge from reigning WTCC Champion Yvan Muller in third.
Huff started the reverse grid race two in ninth position, but immediately began to overhaul the WTCC field, moving up to third place by the end of lap four after an impressive display of overtaking. On lap five, Huff passed fellow Briton James Nash for second, a position he maintained to the chequered flag.
Huff’s excellent weekend secured him 40 points, propelling the East Anglian racer to third in the standings on 97 points, just 33 points behind leader Muller with 18 races to go. Huff’s performances over the weekend also contributed to Chevrolet increasing its lead of the Manufacturers’ Championship, which now stands at 107 points ahead of the series’ next race weekend at the Slovakia Ring, Slovakia, on 28-29 April 2012.
"It was a great weekend, complete with two more visits to the podium," said Huff. "They say consistency wins championships, and if I keep picking up such strong results I’ll be in the frame for the title come the end of the season. Next up is a trip to Slovakia, where hopefully I can secure my first victory of the year at a new circuit on the WTCC calendar."
Round One Result (top five)
1. Alain Menu (Chevrolet Cruze 1.6T), 22:28.931
2. Rob Huff (Chevrolet Cruze 1.6T), +1.074
3. Yvan Muller (Chevrolet Cruze 1.6T), +1.554
4. Pepe Oriola (SEAT León WTCC), +2.268
5. Stefano D’Aste (BMW 320 TC), +5.713
Round Two Result (top five)
1. Yvan Muller (Chevrolet Cruze 1.6T), 19:36.836
2. Rob Huff (Chevrolet Cruze 1.6T), +0.381
3. Alain Menu (Chevrolet Cruze 1.6T), +0.970
4. Tom Coronel (BMW 320 TC), +2.153
5. Stefano D’Aste (BMW 320 TC), +2.641
2012 FIA World Touring Car Championship – Drivers’ Championship (top five)
1. Yvan Muller (FRA), 130 points
2. Alain Menu (SUI), 106 points
3. Rob Huff (GBR), 97 points
4. Tom Coronel (NED), 77 points
5. Stefano D’Aste (ITA), 45 points
2012 FIA World Touring Car Championship – Manufacturers’ Championship
1. Chevrolet, 268 points
2. BMW Customer Racing Teams, 161 points
3. SEAT Customer Technology, 144 points